SCARSDALE, N.Y. -- The Metro New York North Chapter of the American Red Cross and the Scarsdale Volunteer Ambulance Corps announced today that registration for Safety Town, a national program that teaches critical safety skills to preschool children, is now open.
Safety Town is a dynamic, interactive week in which children entering kindergarten in the fall of 2015 learn about safety in the home and their community from public-safety experts. The five-day program covers a different theme each day:
- The Scarsdale Volunteer Ambulance Corps will bring an ambulance, which the children will tour. Kids will learn about the lifesaving equipment and get instruction in basic home safety procedures, such as poisonous-substance awareness and how to call 911.
- A Scarsdale police officer will teach all aspects of personal safety. Each child will be fitted with a bike helmet to use during the program and take home at the end of the week.
- The Scarsdale Fire Department will bring an engine on site. Children will explore the equipment and learn about fire safety in and out of the home.
- An animal-control officer from the Scarsdale Police Department will discuss pet and animal safety.
- A school bus will be on site to teach the children bus safety.
?Each day’s activity is reinforced with lessons, games and coloring books. Some activities and instruction, such as car and pedestrian safety, will be held on an 1,800-square-foot tarp duplicating a small town, complete with streets and wooden buildings.
Safety Town will be hosted by The Metro New York North Chapter of the American Red Cross in partnership with the Scarsdale Volunteer Ambulance Corps and will be held at Scarsdale Congregational Church at 1 Heathcote Road in Scarsdale the week of June 22.
The fee of $195 per child includes five daily two-and-a-half-hour sessions, snacks and educational materials. Children may attend either the morning or afternoon session. Attendance is limited to 100 children per session.
For more information, contact Mary Jones at 203-869-8444, ext. 145, email@example.com or visit www.redcross.org/ct/greenwich ; or Kathy Pascale, 914-722-2230, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.scarsdalevac.com and click on the Safety Town link.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.