SCARSDALE, N.Y. -- In a class at Young Israel of Scarsdale, students will examine the qualities that elevate the Jewish stories studied to a “Top 10” selected by Eleanor Ehrenkranz. These stories, though varied in technique, style, and content, share universality with the reader.
All texts will be available online or by distribution from the instructor. Join them to explore the following:
- "Bontcha Schveig and If Not Higher" by I. J. Peretz
- "Wings" by Anna Yezieerska
- "The Pagan Rabbi" by Cynthia Ozick
- "I Stand Here Ironing" by Tillie Olson
- "The Loudest Voice" by Grace Paley
- "A Fine Day for Bananafish" by J. D. Salinger
- "The Magic Barrel and Jewbird" by Bernard Malamud
- "The Conversion of the Jews and Epstein" by Philip Roth
Tuition will be $175 for five Wednesday morning classes from 10 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. on March 30; April 6, 13, 20 and May 4 at Young Israel of Scarsdale, 1313 Weaver St. To register or for further information go to their website , or contact Alice Tenney, WAJE director, at WAJE@wjcouncil.org 914-328-7001 x704.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.