SCARSDALE, N.Y. -- Regulars and curious passersby explored the wines of South Africa at Zachys Wine and Liquor on Thursday in a special tasting event.
The wine store, which has operated in Scarsdale for 70 years, partnered with Cape Classics and Eastchester's Polpettina restaurant in offering 30 South African wines for tasting, along with complimentary food pairings.
The hand-selected premium wines, ranging from $12 to $35 a bottle, encompassed a large spectrum from white Sauvignon Blancs to red Pinotages to give a detailed look at the South African wine industry.
Andrew McMurray, vice president of Zachys, said most people know about South African wines but may not have a lot of experience with them.
"When you can create an experiential tasting like this, it has a big draw within the community," he said.
According to McMurrary, approximately 245 people attended the event, which was initially planning to sell only 175 tickets. However, so many people passing by were interested in the event, they let more in.
All the wines featured during the event are available for purchase at the store, which is located at 16 East Parkway.
- 1 Two Westchester Private Schools Rank Among 'Smartest' In Nation
- 2 Things Settle Down After Scarsdale High School Bomb Threat
- 3 Snow Could Be Returning To Scarsdale
- 4 Daughters Of Edgemont Driver Of SUV In Fatal Crash Will Be On 'Today' Show
- 5 Manhattan Building Collapses After Apparent Gas Explosion