SCARSDALE, N.Y. -- Regulars and curious passersby explored the wines of South Africa at Zachys Wine and Liquor on Thursday in a special tasting event.
The wine store, which has operated in Scarsdale for 70 years, partnered with Cape Classics and Eastchester's Polpettina restaurant in offering 30 South African wines for tasting, along with complimentary food pairings.
The hand-selected premium wines, ranging from $12 to $35 a bottle, encompassed a large spectrum from white Sauvignon Blancs to red Pinotages to give a detailed look at the South African wine industry.
Andrew McMurray, vice president of Zachys, said most people know about South African wines but may not have a lot of experience with them.
"When you can create an experiential tasting like this, it has a big draw within the community," he said.
According to McMurrary, approximately 245 people attended the event, which was initially planning to sell only 175 tickets. However, so many people passing by were interested in the event, they let more in.
All the wines featured during the event are available for purchase at the store, which is located at 16 East Parkway.
- 1 18-24 Inches Of Snow Now Possible In Scarsdale; Blizzard Warning Issued
- 2 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Scarsdale, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 3 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Westchester Sees 6-8 Inches Of Snow
- 4 Scarsdale Dodges Worst Of Nor'ester
- 5 Scarsdale Enters State Of Emergency As Snow Steadily Falls