BRONXVILLE, N.Y. -- The Bronxville Toys for Tots Drive is underway.
For the third straight year, Bronxville Village resident Steven Ircha, Jr. is heading up the village "Toys for Tots" drive through the Marine Toys for Tots Foundation. Bronxville Troop 5 scouts are joining Ircha Jr. in the effort.
There are "Toys for Tots" drop-off boxes throughout the village-Value Drugs, the Eliza Corwin Frost School, Aegis Capital, Bronxville Fitness Club and People’s Bank, officials said.
"In addition to the kindness of village adults and shop goers, there has been an outpouring of generosity from his fellow football and track and field teammates, friends, and classmates," representatives said.
More than 500 new toys were collected in Bronxville and distributed to various children’s organizations in the area last year. This year, Ircha hopes to collect 1,000 new toys for the underprivileged.
"It's hard to believe that over 16 million children are living in poverty in the United States," he said. "These hard economic times have been especially hard on families. ... People have been so generous, and I am grateful. It really makes me believe in the good of humankind."
New and unwrapped toys of all types are accepted for children from birth to age 18. The drive will continue until Dec. 24.
The following is a list of some of the recipients of the Toys for Tots Drive:
- Andrus Children’s Home
- Graham-Windham Children’s Home
- Leake-Watts Children’s Home
- Pleasantville Cottages Children’s Home
- Family Services Society of Yonkers
- Blythdale Children’s Hospital
- Westchester County Social Services
- Family Services Society of Westchester
- Westchester Medical Center Children’s Ward
- Westchester County Social Services / Homeless
- Spirit Church – Ossining
- Greenburgh Health Center
- IFCA Children’s Support Program
- Community Action Program
- White Plains Child Day Care Centers
- Community Housing Innovations
- Planned Community Living
- Mount Vernon Neighborhood Health Center