WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- Con Edison is encouraging its clients to use energy wisely and save money as hot weather descends on Westchester Count for a second straight week.
Forecasts indicate temperatures will soar into the low and mid 90s for four consecutive days beginning on Friday. After a few days in the mid 80s in the middle of next week, another round of 90-plus is forecast for next weekend.
Con Ed offered the following money-saving conservation tips:
- Set your air conditioning to the highest comfortable temperature. Every degree you lower the thermostat drives up your bill by 6 percent;
- To reduce heat and moisture in your home, run appliances such as ovens, washing machines, dryers and dishwashers in the early morning or late at night when it’s cooler outside;
- Cook with a microwave or barbecue outside, if possible;
- When the AC is running, close doors to keep cool air in and hot air out
- Keep shades, blinds and curtains closed. About 40 percent of unwanted heat comes through windows
- Even when using AC, use ceiling and other fans to provide additional cooling and better circulation
- Turn off AC units, lights and other appliances when not at home and use a timer or smart technology to turn on your air conditioner about a half-hour before arriving home
- Keep AC filters clean
- Replace old appliances with new energy efficient Energy Star appliances.
Customers can report outages and check service restoration status at www.conEd.com or by calling 1-800-752-6633. When reporting an outage, customers should have their Con Edison account number available, if possible, and report whether their neighbors also have lost power.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.