WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- Con Edison is encouraging its clients to use energy wisely and save money as hot weather descends on Westchester Count for a second straight week.
Forecasts indicate temperatures will soar into the low and mid 90s for four consecutive days beginning on Friday. After a few days in the mid 80s in the middle of next week, another round of 90-plus is forecast for next weekend.
Con Ed offered the following money-saving conservation tips:
- Set your air conditioning to the highest comfortable temperature. Every degree you lower the thermostat drives up your bill by 6 percent;
- To reduce heat and moisture in your home, run appliances such as ovens, washing machines, dryers and dishwashers in the early morning or late at night when it’s cooler outside;
- Cook with a microwave or barbecue outside, if possible;
- When the AC is running, close doors to keep cool air in and hot air out
- Keep shades, blinds and curtains closed. About 40 percent of unwanted heat comes through windows
- Even when using AC, use ceiling and other fans to provide additional cooling and better circulation
- Turn off AC units, lights and other appliances when not at home and use a timer or smart technology to turn on your air conditioner about a half-hour before arriving home
- Keep AC filters clean
- Replace old appliances with new energy efficient Energy Star appliances.
Customers can report outages and check service restoration status at www.conEd.com or by calling 1-800-752-6633. When reporting an outage, customers should have their Con Edison account number available, if possible, and report whether their neighbors also have lost power.