SCARSDALE, N.Y. – Engage Westchester Fall Services Day and a Social Action Day take place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Sunday at the JCC of Mid-Westchester, 999 Wilmot Road, Scarsdale.
Fall Services Day for the community is from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and will focus on concerns for vulnerable populations, particularly low-income families, teen moms, isolated seniors, the homeless, and U.S. military veterans. Keynote address will be by Dale Williams, executive director of Midnight Run.
Social Action Day is from 1 to 4 p.m. Activities are planned for the whole family and preregistration is required. The Third Annual JCC Teen Community Service Award takes place at the1 p.m. kickoff of the Westchester Mitzvah Clowning Club at the JCCMW (facilitated by Areyvut and a Jewish Social Action Month grant from UJA-Federation of N.Y.).
Activities include the following:
- An inclusive family-friendly music movement class is from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. in the group exercise room. It will be led by Edu Music, Inc.
- Ambulance-shaped tzedakah will be made with boxes with the American Friends of Magen David Adom.
- Knit or crochet afghans for the needy. Knitters of all levels (including beginners) and ages are welcome.
- Sew pillowcases for children with cancer to benefit Ryan’s Case for Smiles.
- Participate in community artwork that will be displayed at the JCC.
- Boot Camp exercise class to benefit Wounded Warrior Project from 2 to 3 p.m. in the Dance Studio.
- Spinning to benefit Sharsheret, from 2 to 2:45 p.m. in the JCC spinning room.
- Dementia for Beginners (and we’re all beginners) Workshop: “How to Talk to Your Loved One with Dementia,” from 1:15 to 2 p.m.
- Listen and Learn Workshop: A panel discussion to help understand the perspectives of those who live with hearing loss, from 2:15 to 3 p.m.
- Calling All Teens: A Pledge to be LGBTQ Inclusive, from 3:15 to 4 p.m.
The JCC is also looking for the donation of goods for charitable organizations. Needs include clothing for WJCS Kids’ Kloset; pasta, canned fruits and canned vegetables for Bronx Jewish Community Council; hotel-sized toiletries for Bronx Jewish Community Council; used cell phones and toothbrushes and toothpaste for Major Stuart Adam Wolfer Institute; new or gently-used children’s books for JCY, Westchester Community Partners; and gently used American Girl dolls, accessories and books for Girl Again.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.