SCARSDALE, N.Y. -- With the holidays now upon us, the Scarsdale Police Department is reminding the public to be vigilant in safeguarding against criminals seeking to put a damper on the festivities.
In an effort to make the village a safe place to live, work and visit, the department is making the following recommendations to help prevent larcenies from automobiles and home burglaries during the season, according to Capt. Thomas J. Altizio.
• Be an observant neighbor. Immediately notify the police of any suspicious activity in your neighborhood.
• Make your home appear occupied. Leave lights and televisions on timers when you are out.
• Use motion-sensing exterior lighting and keep the perimeter of your home well-lit.
• Make your home more difficult to enter by increasing exterior security.
• Don't allow daily deliveries of mail, newspapers or fliers to build up while you are away.
• Arrange for the post office to hold your mail, or arrange for a friend or neighbor to collect it regularly.
• Always turn your alarm system on when you are away.
• Keep all exterior doors locked, using deadbolt locks. Keep your garage door closed and locked.
• Always lock your vehicle whether it is parked on the street or your driveway.
• Do not leave valuable possessions in view, especially electronics and GPS devices.
• Do not use social networking to alert people when you will be away. Such information may be used by criminals to target specific unattended homes.
• If your home is for sale, be cautious about using a “virtual tour” that displays the layout of your home and its contents on the internet.
• Consider the use of video surveillance on your property. Such systems can both deter criminal activity and provide valuable evidence for law enforcement.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.