SCARSDALE, N.Y. -- Real estate blog Movoto.com recently ranked Scarsdale as the fifth-best place to live in New York.
Movoto compiled a list of municipalities within the state with 10,000 people or more from the 2010 U.S. census. The site then ranked the 87 qualifying areas on the following criteria:
- Total amenities.
- Quality of life (cost of living, median home price, median rent, median household income, and student-to-teacher ratio).
- Total crimes.
- Tax rates (sales tax and income tax).
- Commute time.
- Weather (temperature and air quality).
Scarsdale ranked first in quality of life and fifth in total crime. It also placed in the top 10 for unemployment (fourth) and tax rate (seventh).
Scarsdale's worst category was in commute time, ranking 55th out of 87 communities.
The overall score of 24 for Scarsdale placed it just behind Mamaroneck, Tarrytown, White Plains and Mount Kisco, which took the top four spots with scores of 20.71, 21.57, 21.86 and 22, respectively.
Overall, Westchester County communities dominated the top 10, taking 10 spots. Mount Kisco, Harrison, Dobbs Ferry, Ossining, Rye and New Rochelle (tied for 10th with Saratoga Springs) all made the top 10.
Port Chester, Peekskill and Yonkers all sat outside the top 10, ranking 12th through 14th, respectively.
- 1 Obamas Could Be Bound For Westchester After Presidency, Report Says
- 2 Promising Leads In Edgemont's Lauren Spierer Case Pick Up Steam
- 3 Westchester DA Issues Alert About Sexual Predators Posing As Others
- 4 McDonald's Shakes Up Menu, Cuts Seven Sandwiches
- 5 Bud Light Apologizes For Bottle Label Some Believe Promotes Rape