SCARSDALE, N.Y. -- Happy Birthday to Scarsdale’s Rupert Holmes!
Holmes, a long time Scarsdale resident, turns 67 on Monday.
Rupert Holmes, a British-born American composer, singer-songwriter, musician and author of plays, novels and stories, was born on Feb. 24, 1947, in Northwich, Cheshire.
He is best known for his number one pop hit "Escape (The Piña Colada Song)" (1979/1980) and the song "Him," which reached the number 6 position on the Hot 100 U.S. pop chart in 1980. He is also known for his 1985 Tony Award-winning musical "Drood" (originally "The Mystery of Edwin Drood") and his 2007 Drama Desk Award-winning book for the Broadway musical "Curtains."
In 1996 Holmes created the television series "Remember WENN" for American Movie Classics, writing the theme song and all 56 episodes of that series. In 2003 he published his first novel, "Where the Truth Lies" (later adapted into a film of the same name), followed in 2005 by "Swing," a multimedia release combining a novel with a music CD providing clues to the mystery.
- 1 Police Search For Suspect In Armed Robbery At Scarsdale Dry Cleaners
- 2 Hutch Reopens After Overturned Vehicle Accident; Stop-And-Go Delays On I-95
- 3 Police Seek Suspect In Scarsdale Dry Cleaner Robbery
- 4 TV Show Interview With Daughters Of SUV Driver In Fatal Crash Postponed
- 5 Daughters Defend Edgemont Mother Who Drove SUV In Fatal Train Crash