NEW YORK, N.Y. – Award-winning artist and Scarsdale resident Shreya Mehta will present her solo exhibit titled “The Spirit of Shakti” at the Indian Consulate in New York City.
The collection depicts challenges faced by women at the crossroads of Eastern and Western culture.
“There is a goddess in every woman, an unexplainable strength that comes from within,” Mehta said in a press release. “This is the essence of what I am trying to portray through my works.”
The exhibit was launched by the Indian Consulate as part of its State by State initiative and Mehta will be representing Gujarat.
Mehta was born in India and raised in Belgium, where she became the first woman of a non-Western background to train at the Royal Academy of Art and to win the prestigious V.R.I.K.A award. She has worked with a variety of media including charcoal, paint, glass and Photoshop. Her pieces often explore social issues revolving around gender, power and spirituality.
Mehta donates all the proceeds form her art sales to charity, according to a press release.
- 1 Multivehicle Accident Reported In Shopping Center In Scarsdale
- 2 Scarsdale Couple Suing Golf Club, Saying Balls Are Flying Into Yard
- 3 Woman Allegedly Uses Child To Steal Wallet In Central Avenue Pizzeria
- 4 NYC Doctor Is First Person In Area To Test Positive For Ebola
- 5 Female Suspect From Pelham Identified In NJ Bank Theft