Con Edison crews Thursday afternoon continued to work on underground equipment that had been damaged by a fire beneath a manhole Wednesday night.
Con Edison crews were still on the scene at around 3:30 Thursday.
.A heavy fire ignited by Con Edison's equipment underground, said Scarsdale Police Chief Thomas Cain, causing thick, black smoke. The smoke forced the evacuation of homes and businesses around Garth and Popham roads began rising at about 2 p.m. Wednesday
"When the insulation on wires burn it creates heavy, toxic, black smoke," said Cain. Cain explained Thursday that all smoke is toxic but that this smoke was acrid because of the plastics and rubber burning. "It is absolutely dangerous. Prolonged exposure would be a big concern."
The main health concern in incidents like this is respiratory distress, said Cain. This concern led to the rapid evacuation of all stores and residents on Garth Road from the Popham Road intersection to the Freightway Place Intersection Wednesday.
Cain says residents should not have health concerns if they walked by the manhole and smoke. He says if citizens were to experience respiratory distress the symptoms would have begun immediately.
Francisco Sierra, owner of Sierra Cycles, who said he lost a lot of money Wednesday due to the evacuations, had hoped Con Edison reimbursed him. He is still waiting.
"Yeah, right," Sierra said when asked if he had heard anything from Con Edison. "Nobody has said anything. I want to be compensated."
The cause of the fire has still not been confirmed. Cain said the high temperatures and use of air conditioning could have been a cause. He also said this incident was not related to about 475 Scarsdale households losing power in the Edgewood section of town Wednesday.
Were you on scene when this happened? What did you see? Leave comments below.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.