WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- More than 4,000 Westchester County residents currently receiving jobless aid will stop receiving it as of Saturday, according to Congresswoman Nita Lowey after the U.S. Congress recessed for the year without extending long-term unemployment benefits.
Nationally, 1.3 million who have been unemployed for more than 26 weeks will be affected.
More than 100,000 residents in New York state will be affected by the end of benefits, according to LoHud.com.
New York state's jobless rate shrank by 0.3-percent last month, but more than 700,000 New Yorkers are still without work.
- 1 Once In A Million Space Event Will Be Over Scarsdale Skies Sunday
- 2 Multivehicle Accident Reported In Shopping Center In Scarsdale
- 3 Alert Issued For Missing Woman, 80, Who Could Be In Westchester
- 4 Scarsdale Will See Temperature Plunge On Sunday
- 5 Freeze Warning Is In Effect For Parts Of Westchester County