WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- More than 4,000 Westchester County residents currently receiving jobless aid will stop receiving it as of Saturday, according to Congresswoman Nita Lowey after the U.S. Congress recessed for the year without extending long-term unemployment benefits.
Nationally, 1.3 million who have been unemployed for more than 26 weeks will be affected.
More than 100,000 residents in New York state will be affected by the end of benefits, according to LoHud.com.
New York state's jobless rate shrank by 0.3-percent last month, but more than 700,000 New Yorkers are still without work.
- 1 Cell Phone Violation Leads To Scarsdale Woman's DWI Charge
- 2 IRS Warns Scarsdale Residents Of Phone Scam
- 3 One Killed, One Injured In Car Crash Near Port Chester High School
- 4 New York Rangers' Kevin Klein To Attend Scarsdale Book Signing
- 5 Police Identify Teenagers Involved In Fatal Accident Near Port Chester HS