SCARSDALE, N.Y. – Although a fire tore through the men’s Sauna Room at the Jewish Community Center (JCC) of Mid-Westchester last month, officials are using the opportunity to spruce the place up a bit as repairs get underway.
According to Karen Kolodny, the executive director of the JCC, the building has undergone an extensive clean up, and the smoke damaged materials have since been removed, following the Oct. 23 blaze.
While cleaning up the sauna room, the JCC took the opportunity to clean every vent and grate throughout the entire building. They’ve since met with their insurance company, city officials and architects to ascertain the necessary permits to begin repairs.
“Although approximately 10 percent of our facility will need to be repaired in some for or other as a result of the fire, we are on the road to recovery,” Kolodny said.
The fire began at approximately 5 p.m. in the men’s sauna room and lasted nearly 90 minutes. All children and JCC staff members were swiftly evacuated from the building and shepherded to the Golden Horseshoe Shopping Center across the street. It caused quite a commotion with nearby residents who were eager to see why there was a flurry of emergency vehicles flocking to the community center.
“It all happened so suddenly. One minute everything was humming along then we could hear the sirens and see people rushing there,” New Rochelle resident Victor Bloom said that night. “The whole thing was over before it really got started. They did a good job of getting things under control.”
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.