WHITE PLAINS/SCARSDALE, N.Y. - Dorothy L. Dunbar, Ed.D., a resident of White Plains and Scarsdale, died April 28. She was 74.
Dunbar was born Sept. 5, 1939, to Thomas and Eloise Dunbar in Augusta Ga. She attended the former High School of Music and Art and studied at Juilliard. A graduate of Hunter College, where she went on to receive a Master's degree. She also earned a professional diploma from Teacher's College Columbia University. She earned her doctorate from Fordham University and taught at various levels from elementary through post-graduate. Formerly, she was a member of the staff of both Queens College of the CUNY and Mercy College, Dobbs Ferry. Prior to her retirement she has served as the chair of the Department of Education at Mercy.
Dunbar is survived by her mother, Eloise; and sister, Dr. Jacqueline Dunbar of White Plains and Scarsdale. She was predeceased by her father, Thomas Dunbar.
As per her request all funeral arrangements will be private.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Dunbar Family Fund thru the Westchester Community Foundation, 200 N. Central Park Avenue, Hartsdale NY 10530. The fund supports minority women and girls seeking careers in either Math, Science, Education or the Arts. The family will always appreciate warm thoughts and prayers.
- 1 Scarsdale Resident Indicted In Metro-North Test Cheating Ring
- 2 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 3 July 4 Terror Threat Is 'Nothing Routine,' Says Former CIA Deputy Director
- 4 Man, 29, Pleads Guilty To Child Porn Charges, Says Westchester DA
- 5 Former Exec From PepsiCo In Purchase Resigns From Toyota After Drug Bust