SCARSDALE, N.Y. – Dr. Mary Sheehy, a longtime resident of Scarsdale, died Dec. 18. She was 78.
Born Aug. 27, 1934, in Manhattan, she was the daughter of Richard and Anna Sheehy.
Sheehy was an independent and accomplished person who was proud of her Irish heritage. She was named the Irish Woman of the Year in 1990 by the Emerald Society of New York.
Sheehy was a teacher, evaluator, administrator and chairperson for the Committee of Special Education for District 11 in New York City. She received her undergraduate and doctorate degrees from Fordham University, and her master's in education from Columbia. She was an innovator in education and made many lasting friendships while working on her doctorate.
She loved to travel, visiting places such as China, Australia, New Zealand, Europe and the Caribbean. Sheehy enjoyed dining out and was a master of couponing.
A Mass of Christian burial will be celebrated at 11 a.m. Friday at Our Lady of Fatima Church in Scarsdale. Burial will follow at Gate of Heaven Cemetery, 10 West Stevens Ave., Valhalla.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to St. Cabrini Nursing Home of Westchester, 115 Broadway, Dobbs Ferry, NY 10522.
- 1 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By Homeland Security, FBI
- 2 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 3 Men Shot, Killed Before Hutchinson River Parkway Crash ID'd
- 4 Eastchester Dad Looks To Reduce Charges In Car Accident That Killed Three
- 5 Heavy Rain Headed To Scarsdale, Thunderstorms Possible