SCARSDALE, N.Y. – J. Allen Chao of Scarsdale died Feb. 6. He was 51.
He was born April 3, 1961, to Samuel Chao, formerly the executive officer of the United Nations Department of Public Information, and Dr. Adelaida F. Santos-Chao.
Chao graduated from Edgemont High School in Scarsdale and New York University. He was a longtime field officer of several United Nations missions in Asia and Africa.
He took the UN's peacekeeping, bridge and nation-building activities into areas and nations affected by civil strife, including Cambodia, Timor-Leste, Western Sahara, Somalia, Ivory Coast and most recently, Liberia.
Chao married Kit Yu Amanda Li last week in Las Vegas, Nev.
Chao is survived by his parents, Samuel, of White Plains, and Adelaida, of Scarsdale; his wife; and three siblings, David (Marianne), Mark and Rowena (Christopher Giattino) Chao, all of Scarsdale.
Visitation is from 8 a.m.-9:30 a.m. Saturday at Edwin L. Bennett Funeral Home in Scarsdale. A funeral Mass will be celebrated at 10 a.m. at the Church of Our Lady of Fatima in Scarsdale.
David and Marianne Chao will receive friends after the service at their home at 315 Clayton Road in Scarsdale.
- 1 Dozens Sickened In Nine States After Salmonella Outbreak
- 2 U.S. $1.1M Water Treatment Westchester Fine Cites Scarsdale
- 3 Metro-North Trains Returns To Schedule As Grand Central Reopens
- 4 Police Asking Public's Help In Search For Missing Teen With Medical Needs
- 5 Scarsdale Co-Ops Get $7.5 Million In Loans From National Cooperative Bank