WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- Ralph Waite, a White Plains native and actor best known for his work in the classic family drama, "The Waltons," died on Thursday at age 85, according to an obituary in The New York Times.
Waite portrayed John Walton, the patriarch of a family living in rural Virginia during the Great Depression and World War II. The show ran on CBS from 1972-1981.
Waite reportedly had been in good health and his death took his family and friends by surprise.
- 1 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By Homeland Security, FBI
- 2 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 3 Scarsdale Resident Indicted In Metro-North Test Cheating Ring
- 4 Man, 29, Pleads Guilty To Child Porn Charges, Says Westchester DA
- 5 Eastchester Dad Looks To Reduce Charges In Car Accident That Killed Three