HASTINGS-ON-HUDSON, N.Y. -- Tenants and businesses were displaced when a fire broke out at a commercial/residential building at 58 Main Street in Hastings-on-Hudson on Wednesday.
Two families and two single tenants, two professional office tenants, a nail salon and a taxi service were forced to leave the downtown property as the result of a fire that occurred at about 4 p.m. Wednesday.
Hastings Fire Department personnel extinguished the fire just before a thunderstorm hit the area.
Con Edison shut off electric and gas supply to the property.
Fire officials said the fire may have been caused by a left cigarette or spark but were still investigating Thursday morning.
The incident began when a small fire broke out on a wood porch at the second floor rear of the building, according to Daily Voice reporter Danny LoPriore, who lives in the property. The tenant living there attempted to extinguish the fire, but could not. LoPriore said he then made a 911 call and the fire department was at the scene in less than five minutes, he said.
"The fire started in the corner of the back porch just above a flat tar roof," LoPriore said. "The tenant tried to put it out but it spread quickly. The entire porch and flat roof below it was involved in minutes."
LoPriore's family had owned the building for 57 years before selling it 18 months ago. Three of the tenants had cats that were rescued by firefighters and the tenants after the scene was secured. There was extensive fire, smoke and water damage in three of the apartments.
"The building is wood frame with some aluminum siding at the rear where the fire spread up to the third floor," LoPriore said. "We've been told to remain out of the building until further notice. The owners were here (Thursday) and will be boarding open windows and securing the place."
The tenants are temporarily living with family members while seeking permanent places to live. The Columbus Nail Salon is closed and the Rivertowns Taxi service is working through its radio system.
- 1 Man Found Hiding In Closet At Edgemont Home Is Charged With Burglary
- 2 Boil Water Advisory Affects 150,000 Westchester Residents
- 3 Daughter Of Eastchester Man Sentenced In Crash That Killed Three
- 4 Fireworks Prompt Residents Near Metropolis Country Club To Fear Attack
- 5 Police Apprehend Suspect After Scarsdale Burglary