SCARSDALE, N.Y. – A man going door to door in Scarsdale soliciting donations was arrested Dec. 20 after he allegedly demanded a resident donate to an organization he supported, according to a police report.
A homeowner on Corell Road complained to police that the solicitor, from the New York Youth Club, approached her door and was aggressive while requesting the donation. After the resident repeatedly declined to donate, police said the solicitor refused to leave her doorway, saying, “Just open the door and give me cash.”
Patrol canvassed the area and found the man on Vernon Road going door-to-door soliciting money. He could not provide a village permit, nor was one filed at Police Headquarters, officers said.
Police said they spoke to the solicitor’s supervisor, who argued that it didn’t matter if a valid village permit was filed.
“It is not his problem if a permit was not filed at police headquarters,” the supervisor said. “If you give us a summons, we will get it dismissed in the morning.”
Officers issued a village code summons to the solicitor, and the complainant was advised of the outcome. Police continued to monitor the area.
Also from the Scarsdale Police blotter:
- An East Hartsdale Avenue resident's car was broken into Sunday while she visited the Tuckahoe-Eastchester Girl Scout Cabin on Wayside Lane. The woman walked to the field next to the cabin at approximately 4:30 p.m., and an hour later found that her passenger’s side window had been broken and her pocketbook was missing. Police said $67 in cash, a vehicle registration, a checkbook and credit cards were in the pocketbook.
- A Forest Lane resident complained that she and her dog were attacked by another dog as they walked on Woods Lane. The woman said she kicked at the dog to keep it away while it was attempting to attack both her and her dog. There had been previous complaints about the dog, and a “dangerous dog complaint” was filled out for Village Court.
- 1 Cell Phone Violation Leads To Scarsdale Woman's DWI Charge
- 2 IRS Warns Scarsdale Residents Of Phone Scam
- 3 One Killed, One Injured In Car Crash Near Port Chester High School
- 4 New York Rangers' Kevin Klein To Attend Scarsdale Book Signing
- 5 Police Identify Teenagers Involved In Fatal Accident Near Port Chester HS