More than 60 residents of a Mamaroneck apartment complex are without homes following a fire that sent nine people to the hospital for smoke inhalation, according to Town of Mamaroneck Fire Chief Paul Tortorella.
The department received the call for a mattress fire around 4:12 a.m. Friday in a fourth-floor apartment at 3 Dillon Road, the chief said.
By the time firefighters arrived the mattress and contents of the room were on fire, sending heavy smoke into the surrounding areas, including the hallways were other residents were evacuating, causing nine to suffer smoke inhalation, he said.
All were transported to Jacobi Medical Center, White Plains Hospital and Montefiore New Rochelle Hospital for treatment, no one else was injured.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the one apartment, but smoke and water damage, along with the fact that apartment shares a firewall with the apartments at 1 Dillon Road, caused more than 60 residents to be displaced when power was cut to the buildings for safety reasons.
"There was fire and water damage to the walls, floors, and electrical, causing the need to cut the power, the chief said.
"There is going to need to be extensive repairs done before residents will be able to move back in," he added.
The fire inspector said the cause of the fire was electrical in nature.
Red Cross officials were on the scene offering help to those in need of a place to stay. They were asking residents in need of help to meet at the Mamaroneck VFW at 1288 Boston Post Road.
The department was assisted by the Larchmont, New Rochelle, City of Mamaroneck fire departments in addition to the Larchmont and New Rochelle paramedics.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.