SCARSDALE, N.Y. - A fast acting, quick thinking Scarsdale police officer saved the life of a man last week who nearly suffered from a fatal heroin overdose.
Shortly after 11:30 a.m. on Monday, Dec. 26, first responders from the Police Department and Scarsdale Volunteer Ambulance Corps (SVAC) were dispatched to Starbucks on East Parkway, where a man was reportedly passed out and not breathing.
According to police, Officer Nicholas Kringas was on the scene within less than two minutes, where he found a 51-year-old man unresponsive on the sidewalk, turning blue. Kringas recognized signs of drug use and determined the man was displaying the signs of a drug overdose.
Having diagnosed the man, Kringas administered a dose of Naloxone (Narcan) to the victim to counter the overdose. Shortly thereafter, the man regained consciousness and began breathing normally.
According to drugs.com, Naloxone blocks or reverses the effects of opioid medication, including extreme drowsiness, slowed breathing or loss of consciousness. It is used to treat a drug overdose in an emergency situation.
Members of SVAC provided additional first aid while the man was transported to the hospital for further treatment. During the investigation, the man told police he was taking the train from the Bronx and had used one bag of heroin before he passed out.
Scarsdale Police Capt. Thomas Altizio said that all officers were trained in the use of Naloxone and began carrying it in the summer of 2015.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.