SCARSDALE, N.Y. – The smell of smoke at the Parkway Coffee Shop in Scarsdale caused a neighboring proprietor to call firefighters to the location Friday night, officials said.
Shortly before 7 p.m., fire personnel forced their way through the front door of the shop after observing a “slight smoke condition both in the coffee shop and coming from sidewalk vents,” according to the fire report.
Firefighters reportedly found a plastic bucket on the stove over the pilot light. A fire in the back room was quickly smothered by the entry team, using two water extinguishers. The gas was turned off and the fire department ventilated the property, according to the report.
Con Edison assisted at the scene. The Westchester County Health Department was also called to the location, along with Scarsdale fire investigators.
Also on the Scarsdale fire log from July 2 through July 9:
Gas leak: A resident on Heathcote Road reported that a carbon monoxide detector had activated in their home Wednesday. The leak was coming from a water heater in the boiler room, officials said. Carbon monoxide readings reached 30 parts per million (ppm); gas was cut to the unit and Con Edison was notified. Con Edison investigators placed a red tag on the unit, condemning it. According to the report, this was the second time in the past week a leak had occurred, after substantial work had been done since the first incident.//