SCARSDALE, N.Y. – Scarsdale firefighters tracked down the source of a carbon monoxide leak Sunday at an unoccupied home on Reimer Road.
Shortly before 10 a.m., firefighters received a call and responded to the home. They discovered a kitchen door ajar in the rear of the house, but no one was home. After calling the police, firefighters entered the home’s utility room and found carbon monoxide readings of 70 parts per million that were rising slowly.
In their search of the property, firefighters got readings as high as 560 parts per million. Consolidated Edison was called, and large and small smoke ejectors were used to ventilate the area. Both agencies scoured the house looking for the leak, but had difficulty finding the origin.
In the property’s pool cabana, they discovered elevated readings in an external sump pump and in the electrical conduit going out to the cabana. Power was cut to the unit, and Con Edison sealed it. Utility workers suggested that an electrician evaluate it further.
After a lengthy inspection, it was determined that a hot water heater was the cause of the elevated carbon monoxide readings. The fresh-air feed of the heater was found to be blocked by dryer vent louvers. Scarsdale firefighters remained at the home until Con Edison workers ventilated the house. Police secured the home, and a copy of the incident report was left for the absent homeowner.
The following incident also was reported by the Scarsdale Fire Department:
Storefront accident: Shortly after 4:30 p.m. Sunday, July 15, Scarsdale firefighters and police were sent to DiCicco’s Supermarket on East Parkway after a vehicle drove into the glass storefront. According to the report, the structure was badly damaged and glass was shattered in the store. The entrance of the store was taped off and pedestrians were barred from entering. Firefighters helped clean up spilled fluid and stood by until a tow truck could remove the vehicle. The Scarsdale Building Department was called to help secure the structural damage. The store has since been reopened, though only one door was operational.