SCARSDALE, N.Y.—The police department is reminding residents how to help prevent property crimes during the holidays. Their tips include:
- Make your home appear occupied by putting lights and televisions on timers when no one is home.
- Use motion-sensing exterior lighting and keep the perimeter of your home lighted.
- Increase exterior security to make home more difficult to enter.
- If on vacation, have the post office hold your mail, or have a neighbor collect the mail.
- Turn on alarm system when absent.
- Keep all exterior doors locked, using deadbolts. Keep the garage door closed and locked.
- Always lock your vehicle, no matter where it is parked.
- Do not leave valuable in view, especially electronic and GPS devices.
- Be an observant neighbor. Notify police of suspicious activity in your neighborhood.