SCARSDALE, N.Y. A village worker accidentally started a fire Saturday afternoon, forcing Scarsdale fire personnel to intervene.
Shortly before 2 a.m. Saturday, the worker attempted to fill a power washer with gasoline while the unit was still running and the motor was hot, sparking the blaze. According to the Scarsdale Fire Department log, firefighters found a five-gallon gas can on fire on the first level of the parking garage at 1 Christie Place.
The fire caused sprinklers to be activated, which contained the flames until firefighters arrived. Fire personnel extinguished the fire with extinguishers, ventilated the area and shut off the sprinklers.
Village workers were permitted to continue their work in the area without the power washer that was involved in the fire.
Also on the Scarsdale fire log from Oct. 8 through Oct. 15:
Grease fire: A grease fire on Woods Lane required assistance from firefighters Sunday. Shortly after 5 p.m., a burning pan went up in flames in the kitchen. While trying to get the pan outside, the resident spilled oil on the floor, stove and around the kitchen. Fire personnel ventilated the house and spread oil absorbent on the kitchen floor. Three occupants were checked by the Scarsdale Volunteer Ambulance Corp. and one was transported to the hospital for further evaluation.
Noxious odor: On Sunday, a Carthage Road resident reported the smell of natural gas in the house. During their investigation, firefighters found that the smell was actually chlorine and was emanating from the basement, where recently stored pool equipment was located. The items were removed from the house and the basement was ventilated.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.