TARRYTOWN, N.Y. – Motorists who feel a little sleepy can pick up free coffee or hot tea on the New York State Thruway Monday night.
A 42-year tradition continues at all of the Thruway travel plazas on New Year's Eve as officials remind motorists to take breaks from driving to prevent sleepiness.
“Sleepiness and fatigue are major contributors to highway accidents,” Thruway Executive Director Thomas Madison said in a statement. “All motorists should put safety first at all times.”
Free coffee and tea will be available from 11 p.m. Monday through 7 a.m. Tuesday at all of the 27 travel plazas because of a partnership with travel plaza operators and the Thruway Authority.
Thruway officials remind motorists that they should only stop on the roadway shoulder in cases of emergency.
- 1 Police Search For Suspect In Armed Robbery At Scarsdale Dry Cleaners
- 2 Westchester Private Schools Rank Among 'Smartest' In Nation
- 3 Daughters Of Edgemont Driver Of SUV In Fatal Crash Will Be On 'Today' Show
- 4 Police Charge Student In Swastika Case At Purchase College
- 5 Police Seek Suspect In Scarsdale Dry Cleaner Robbery