WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- Edgemont and Scarsdale High Schools were named among the top high schools in New York and were two of only 500 schools nationwide to receive a gold medal rating in the annual U.S. News & World Report study.
Edgemont was the highest-ranked school in Westchester County and ninth in New York state. If you discount charter and magnet schools, Edgemont actually ranked as the best public school in New York. Nationally, Edgemont was ranked 58th.
Scarsdale High School ranked 46th in the state and is the 10th-highest-ranked school in Westchester. Nationally, Scarsdale ranked 403rd.
U.S. News analyzed more than 31,200 public high schools in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, and has published data on more than 19,400, including student demographics and results on state exams and Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate tests.
The 500 gold medal schools make up less than 2 percent of the total schools studied.
In addition, 1,519 schools took home silver medals, and 2,688 were awarded bronze.
The top 10 schools in Westchester County -- all of which received gold medal ratings -- were ranked in this order by U.S. News:
1. Edgemont High School, Scarsdale
2. Rye High School
3. Horace Greeley High School, Chappaqua
4. Yonkers High School
5. Hastings High School
6. Byram Hills High School, Armonk
7. Briarcliff High School
8. North Salem High School
9. Rye Neck High School, Mamaroneck
10. Scarsdale High School
- 1 Drowning Victim, 22, ID'd; Stepson Of Schools Superintendent
- 2 Yonkers Man, 22, Drowns In Surf Off New Jersey Shore
- 3 Rain Could Spoil July 4 Events, Celebrations In Scarsdale
- 4 New Scam Showing Up On Facebook Could Cost You Lots Of Money
- 5 Gang Members Charged With Murder, Other Felonies In White Plains Court