SCARSDALE, N.Y. -- The Scarsdale High School varsity baseball team played on the legendary Doubleday Field in Cooperstown in April.
Scarsdale played on April 16 and 17 at the field located near the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown.
"Many people recognize Cooperstown as the Home of Baseball," Cooperstown representatives said on the village's website. "We welcome thousands of visitors to the village each year to tour the National Baseball Hall of Fame and enjoy and/or partake in a game at Abner Doubleday Field."
The first significant competitive game played at Doubleday Field between adult teams occurred on September 6, 1920 as part of a Street Fair celebration sponsored by the Cooperstown Chamber of Commerce intended to raise additional funds to purchase the property from the Phinney family, representatives said on the website.
"The use of the field has changed significantly over time. It once hosted Cooperstown Central School’s football team and continues to be the site of most of the High School’s baseball games," representatives said. "Each year hundreds of teams choose to visit the village in uniform and take it to the field."
Rye Neck and Scarsdale also had teams participating in games in Cooperstown.
- 1 Westchester Private Schools Rank Among 'Smartest' In Nation
- 2 Police Search For Suspect In Armed Robbery At Scarsdale Dry Cleaners
- 3 Daughters Of Edgemont Driver Of SUV In Fatal Crash Will Be On 'Today' Show
- 4 Police Charge Student In Swastika Case At Purchase College
- 5 Slick Westchester Roadways Result In Numerous Accidents