SCARSDALE, N.Y. Scarsdale firefighters responded to a building fire at 16 Murray Hill Rd. last week. The fire began on the stove top, according to a fire department report, and spread to the ventilation hood and cabinet mounted above the stove at 10:12 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 11. The fire also burned around the kitchen hood duct and into the unfinished crawl space attic above the kitchen.
Firefighters took down the hood and about 40 square feet of sheetrock, the report said, to ensure the fire was out. According to the report, the residents son said he was cooking and left the stove unattended.
The Scarsdale Fire Department also responded to the following calls during the week between Oct. 10 and Oct. 17:
Chemical hazard: On Tuesday, Oct. 12, a homeowners friend attempted to clear a sink clog with Draino, which resulted in a chemical reaction with bleach the homeowner had poured into the drain a day earlier. The friend, who said he inhaled fumes, was put on oxygen and taken by Scarsdale Village Ambulance to White Plains Hospital for evaluation. Firefighters ventilated the house with a fan and drained the sink, advising the homeowner of the dangers of mixing chemicals and to call a plumber for service.
Gasoline odor: At 9:48 p.m. Saturday, firefighters were called to 34 Aspen Rd. to check out a gasoline odor. The odor was traced to a leaking automobile gasoline tank in an attached garage. Firefighters removed the car from the garage and spread absorbent material on the garage floor and in the driveway underneath the leaking gasoline tank.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.