SCARSDALE, N.Y. - Scarsdale police are warning residents to be on high alert during the holiday seasons as opportunistic schemers may look to take advantage while locals may be away.
The Scarsdale Police Department issued an alert this week to residents to help "make the village a safe place to live work and visit," by avoiding home burglaries and automobile larcenies during the holiday season.
To help local residents avoid becoming victims, the police department released a series of tips:
- Make your home appear occupied. Leave lights or televisions on timers when you are out.
- Use motion sensing exterior lighting and keep the perimeter of your home well lighted.
- Make your home more difficult to enter by increasing exterior security.
- Don't allow daily deliveries of mail, newspapers or flyers to build up while you are away. Arrange with the Post Office to hold your mail, or arrange for a friend or neighbor to collect them regularly.
- Always turn your alarm system on when you are away.
- Keep all exterior doors locked, using deadbolt locks. Keep your garage door closed and locked.
- Always lock your vehicle whether it is parked on the street or your driveway.
- Do not leave valuable possessions in view, especially electronic and GPS devices.
- Be an observant neighbor. Immediately notify the police of any suspicious activity in your neighborhood.
According to police, scammers use phone, email, postal mail and the Internet to “cross geographic boundaries and trick victims into sending money or giving out personal information,” noting that “knowledge and awareness of these types of schemes can help protect you from being a victim of fraud.”
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.